Hey! its such a breath of fresh air to be able to hear from people who speak English and speak back. Luckily my companion has started talking and is way cool. He's from Utah and had been out a year and gave me a lot of good advice about different things on the mission (**Note-We, his parents, think he is referring to the other missionary in his apartment, not his actual companion, which he explained in his last letter). Overall, everything has gotten a lot better. I've gotten used to most of the stuff that caught me off guard and I'm doing my best to stay positive. We do a lot of walking around and talk to members to get referrals for people because I guess going to door to door isn't as effective. We taught our first lesson a couple nights ago and it went great! The woman and her brother (around 30) were super receptive and really believed everything and wanted to hear more. When I bore my testimony about the church and why I am out hear they seemed to really feel the spirit and the man (Gilson) even said an amen in the middle of my testimony, ha ha. It was great and I felt so good about the whole thing. After that I realized the only thing that can really get me excited these two years is when I know I'm helping people come closer to Christ and have happier lives, its so great to be the one giving, and seeing these people receive. So that was an awesome experience for me.
Most days we study in the morning and then have lunch at a member's house. One thing I love about this place is that the food is great! No matter how poor the member, they seem to have amazing food! And I also realized why I was called hear...Brazilians love….I mean LOVE there chocolate and around Easter they are obsessed with chocolate eggs! It's awesome. So their lunch is like our dinner. They have a big lunch, they have desert after lunch and they call it sobr emesa (over table). All the food is good we get and because its Easter one of the families offered us cups of chocolate. I literally ate a whole cup of chocolate with a spoon. It was amazing! ha ha.
(these are photos of Nate’s home/apartment in Recife (Jardim America neighborhood)
The members are great and we've gotten to know just about all of them really well. The youth are way cool and really strong in their faith. It's great :) For lunch we normally have toast and chocolate milk at home. Then we have a big lunch at a member's. And then for dinner, if we have it, a couple of chocolate cookies and maybe some juice, or more chocolate milk. It's kind of strange but the lunch always makes up for it :) I'm learning a ton especially this last week. I have to learn a lot or I don't know what's going on. I'm normally pretty confused but eventually I won't be. It's pretty hard to know what's going on most of the time. Our area is really small, we walk everywhere we go which is nice because everything is always really close. And people are always all over the place and pretty friendly. The area is pretty diverse, most is very very very pore and then there are apartments that are pretty middle class, but a lot nicer than the houses. All houses have walls and fences around them with glass on top of the walls to keep people out and because all the houses are walled or fenced in we have to clap at the gate to get their attention. It's different but not bad.
Saturday we did a service project helping a man build walls on top of his house. Sounds kind of strange but it was good to get to know him and the others we worked with. It was pretty hot and I got a huge tan-burn. Pretty bad. I should have put on more sunscreen. One more awesome thing about the people is that every house we have gone into the people offer us something, and by the end of the day we are super full because we got something to eat at every house. The people are great!
It's good to hear Chris Mullenaux is doing well. I miss that guy :)
Today was really hard for some reason just thinking about the family and how much I miss you all, but getting to hear from you and to be able to email back has really really really helped :) Thanks! Oh, and thanks soooo much for fasting and praying for me. It definitely helps. You're all the best! Once I get this language down it will be loads easier and way more fun ha ha. My heart is full for you! Thanks for all the prayers you all are the best and it's great to be out here knowing I'm being watch over.
ALL IS WELL IN THE RECIFE MISSION.
Love,
Elder LeSueur
No comments:
Post a Comment