Dear Family,
Thanks for the great email! Sounds like the week was full and there will be a lot going on the weeks to come. I love how Allie finally got on the big cam at the D-Backs game and then covered her face.... hahaha, Nice Al ;) Also the pictures are great. Thanks! Especially the pictures of the fish fry. Man.... onion rings....how I love, how I miss.
This Wednesday we woke up at 6:15 to the APs calling to remind us about the meeting we would have that day at 9:00 in a city called Caruaru...which is a good 2 hours away and that our zone had to be there (we have two other areas that live in a city 2 hours away from us in the interior). Unfortunately we hadn’t been advised about this meeting with the APs and President until that morning at 6:15, so we jumped out of bed, brushed our teeth in the shower, called the other areas and ran to the bus stop. One of the areas in our zone (Bom Conselho) had to catch a van (Volks Wagon van) to get here to Garanhuns first and then catch a bus with us to this nearby city. We all made it to the bus station in time to get to the meeting an hour or two late....so President Lanius called it off and the APs came later in the day to do divisions with us and then the meeting happened with our zone and without President the next day. It’s expensive to serve in this zone because we’re always taking vans and buses everywhere. So that was the excitement of the week.
We had planned to do a bunch of contacts this week starting earlier in the morning and because of that we found quite a few people, not people in the least bit interested in the church, but...people. We found a family from the church 7th Day Adventists who we called the Adiventistas. The mom was super nice and seemed like a mom that should be in our church, who lives with her daughter (a snake), a son, and her husband in a cozy house with grass (no one has grass, it’s only a rich people thing). After a little bit of talking to them we found out that the mom knows a lot about the bible, the dad is super smart and likes to read the dictionary....., the daughter is a snake (when I said bye to her I held out my hand to shake her hand, but instead she grabbed my head with her hand and kissed me on the cheek, my companion thought it was funny until he held out his hand and she did the same. It is super awkward when you have to tell someone you can’t do that. Everyone here kisses everyone on the cheek like they do on the movies. Last week the same thing almost happened, but when she came in for the attack I made a super nasty face and backed away...I think she was offended... hahaha. Over all, the family is super in to their church and the mom tried to bible bash a little about Saturday being the day of the Lord, but we are tired of bible bashing so we explained to her that we really do believe that Peter, James and John appeared to Joseph and gave him the keys of Christ’s church on earth and left it at that. The chosen will hear, listen, and soften their hearts to understand. Overall they were nice but really hardened their hearts to the first vision and restoration.
Not too much else happened this week other than the normal contacting and teaching. We had a ton of people that were going to come to church, but when we went to pick them up, they weren't home or were sleeping and didn't answer the door. We are kind of worried about our zone too, because 2 of the areas have elders that are really sick and didn't do anything the whole week, I don’t know if President likes to send sick elders here or if the cold gets everyone sick. Either way, it’s sad and a little frustrating trying to help the areas that can’t get anything done because of sickness. We´ll be going on a few divisions with the areas far away to help out a bit.
I don’t know if I have said too much about Luciana, but we have been teaching her for a long time and finally this week we marked her baptism for the 8th, she accepted! I don’t know what changed, but she accepted. She said it was too soon, until I told her that there would be a good chance I would be getting transferred on the 9th, and she stayed content with the 8th. Everyone in the ward is super excited because she already looks like a member going to church every week and to the activities. I´ll send a picture of her this next week :) We also marked 5 others to be baptized within the next 3 weeks, but they didn't go to church, so sad. Everyone is always so excited to go to church and when Sunday comes they disappear. Sadness of the missionary life.
Love you all and have a great week!!!
Elder LeSueur
ps. I’m sending a few pictures of the outside of my house and the street I live on.
No comments:
Post a Comment