Tuesday, September 3, 2013

edson’s son baptized last night, still working with romildo (9-2-13)

Aloooo family!!

Thanks so much for the pictures of the family reunion. It was so good seeing everyone! The kids are huge and so is Shelby’s barriga (baheega) "belly". Man I miss the family so much. You are all so great. It was cool seeing pictures of the cousins too because they are all so different too but I don’t think that has to do with the mission, I think it’s just been a long time since I’ve seen them. While Shel gained a belly, I noticed that good ol’ Brother Reynolds lost his...nice. I’m also dying to get a hold  of that camera Dad´s using ;)

I  was told that elders in California now have Ipads, I’m jealous but happy because an elder walking around these parts with an Ipad wouldn’t last too long in the streets, Anyone with an Ipad here is cheekyzinho. Sheeky= nice/rich and zinho is the diminuative that people put on everything... cachorr-zinho (little dog), legal-zinho (kind of cool), tachau-zinho (little bye), peix-zinho (little fish), eld-zinho (little elder). Anyway, I don’t think elders in Recife will be getting anything cool like an Ipad anytime soon.


This week was good but pretty normal. A lot of walking, knocking and teaching. We have been teaching Edson’s family a bunch. Edson is coming back to the church. Ever since we started teaching him and his family he has stopped drinking and smoking and we baptized his daughter a few weeks ago and just baptized his son last night.

We had the baptism for Romildo marked. We found him way back in February and we had started teaching him again recently. He is 18 and has a testimony about everything and wants to be baptized but doesn’t feel ready, so we´re going to go back this week and help him understand that he is ready (because he is) and also because I could be transferred from Garanhuns this next week and I would do anything to be at his baptism. He’s that kind of person that I will keep in contact with for the rest of my life, Way awesome!.

Also Sunday we scheduled to go to a member’s house far away in a place called Aguas Belas (beautiful waters). He (Josenilton) and his wife were baptized here when Elder Ribeiro and I were companions and he wants his whole family to be baptized so we are going there on Friday to visit them. We might have to sleep there too if President Lanius lets us because I don’t know if there are vans that come back from there after 5, We’ll see but we´re excited to see what’s in store there.
.
We are still working with Luciana who wants to be baptized but still can’t because she doesn’t believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet or that we have a prophet today. This  is super disappointing. She’s been going to church for 3 months now.

It was kind of weird yesterday because the people we had marked to be baptized didn’t go to church and the people that don’t want to be baptized came, Sometimes these people drive me crazy, but I’m learning a lot about patience so it’s good. During fast and testimony meeting I was so happy because Vitoria and her grandma who we baptized bore their testimonies and it was so beautiful. i wanted to run up to the pulpit and give them both a big hug. Also, Mayra who I baptized back in Barão was visiting and bore her testimony and I have to admit i did cry it was so good, How rewarding!

Next week I’ll let you know if I’m transferred or not, Elder Ribeiro goes home on Monday! Crazy stuff, Everybody out here calls me old but I still feel like I am new.

Love you all!!!! Beixo (kiss) abraço (hug) and cheiro (sniff...people here give sniffs) to you all!!! Tchauzinho until next week

Elder Nate


PS- To answer your question Dad, Monday January 13th I’ll stay in Recife with my group, Tuesday the 14th I’ll be leaving to come home, That is for sure and that’s really all I know yet. I think I get my flight information here in a month or 2. Since school starts on the 13th, hopefully it will be ok to miss the first couple days and still be able to keep the scholarship.

No comments:

Post a Comment