Monday, July 23, 2012

baptism scheduled next week! 7-23-12

Hey!!! WOW this week went by way too fast! It's been a good week but a little sad at times. Tuesday we had a split with our DL Elder Taparosky, and we realized that we need to start with a new slate and clear our teaching group and get some new investys. It was great splitting with him and learning a lot but depressing knowing that most of the people we have been teaching are being extremely MULLY (slacking and not progressing). So we are going to start working way more with the members and ward to find these people that really are prepared and will put in the effort themselves to live eternally happy. Sometimes it feels like we are dragging these people into the waters of baptism, which really isn't the way its supposed to happen. But, we have been working with a great family and figuring out all the steps necessary to get her married to her non- active husband and baptized (Giselma) so they are great.

This week we found a lady who has been inactive for a while but has a daughter that is 11 and needs to be baptized, so our goal has been to get the family active again and baptize the daughter. When I talked to the daughter (Vitoria) she immediately told me she was getting baptized. I asked "Oh really when?" She said she didn't know, so I let her know that we could take care of that, so she'll be baptized next week!!! this is the same day as Bob Ponce is getting baptized in my ward in Gilbert. Vitoria’s mom seems really firm so it's important for us to reactivate her also.

I really don't know what else to say about this week. It was good but a lot of the same thing. Monday we played volleyball and it was legit! The members that played were all really good and it was so fun! I had been needing that for a long time. What a blessing!

Last night I ate half of a root beer candy. That was awesome. Root beer doesn't exist in Brazil and neither do cookies!!! COOKIES, can you believe it! The closest thing they have to a cookie here is an Oreo. Very sad, very sad.

Training has been going great. I feel bad for my companion that has to be trained by me but he will grow a lot from this experience also :o)  Home sickness is going away. This ward is my home and my DL is pretty much my dad. I call him padastro (step dad). I got dad's journal that he made into a book this week and that was pretty awesome! He is pretty straight and to the point with what he says in it. It's pretty funny. He mentioned how his companion in the MTC was annoying, but it was because he had a low IQ.... good stuff :o)  Having my brother's journal book AND my dad's is a huge blessing on my mission!

This week I also learned a couple of things. Half our area are members that have fallen away. And also, missionaries don't like dogs.  There is a member we are trying to reactivate but there is a dog next to his house and the door is always open and the dog is HUGE and both houses are in a little beco (alley). It really made me mad and Elder Vargas ran a mile away as soon as it started barking.

I heard about the shooting in Colorado. I was way sad to hear what happened and it doesn't make the US look any better to Brazil because they already think America is full of crazy people that run into public areas and shoot people.

Well I love you all and thanks for the prayers! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment